Currently I have made big progress on my tesla coil. After receiving ordered parts I tested the coils to make sure they work and then added the part for the spark gap. To make the spark gap you need to add two circular objects to the top of the tesla coil, so I used a ping pong ball covered in aluminum. When I finished making the part for the spark gap I soon learned that the amount of energy from a 9 volt battery wasn’t enough to actually make a spark gap. My next move was to use our robots battery to try and feed more volts ( 12 volts ) however, that didn’t give me the result I needed, instead it only increased the voltage when I need to also increase the current. This taught me I had to learn the relationship between the current and voltage of a circuit and how it affected my tesla coils output. When speaking with my physics teacher I learned that there are 3 main components number of coils for the electricity to run through, amount of voltage, and the amount of current. Now that I know this I need to test each component and ratio of components to see which is going to create the spark gap.
The first thing I tested was increasing the current and voltage. I concluded that the increase of current had the biggest spark gap. Unfortunately the power supply used to increase the current and voltage overloaded the tesla coil blowing the fuse. I will now figure out what went wrong and how to fix it. I plan to replace the transistor, that is the only piece I haven’t fixed.