We have just started our second week of build season! Currently, many things have been happening throughout the team. On FIRST 5125, we like to split our technical groups into the following: Chassis, Appendages, Electrical, and Programming. All of these subgroups have been working diligently. Towards the end of the first week, we have a running robot, with just the chassis alone. This is record breaking, due to the timely fashion in which we completed it. Usually, we would finish all of that around the third week of build season.
We did however, have multiple hiccups along the line. For example, we had placed the gearboxes on the incorrect side of the robot. Fixing it only took us around thirty minutes or so.
In other news, this will be the first year that we use sensors on our robot. Currently we are working on configuring a gyro and an encoder. The gyro will allow the robot to understand what position it’s currently in. This is very important when creating an autonomous that will go past the auto baseline. As for the encoder, if we wanted our robot near the switch or scale, then using the encoder is the way to go. The encoder will be able to tell the motors how many revolutions in needs to take. In this case, if we tell the encoder that we need 4 full revolutions, then we can eventually get to the switch.
For appendages, we have two things going on for us: an intake and the “bird wings”. The intake will work as a way we can intake the power cube, and which we can spit it back out to the exchange and the switch. We’ve been prototyping in which is the best roller/intake is the best. As for the “bird wings”, we do not plan to hang, but lift other robots. That has not been on our top of our priority list, but it is something that we plan to use.
This is our weekly update for build season FIRST 5125 Hawks on the Horizon. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. Good luck and power up!